A surfer I know once made the grave error, after a three hour session in immaculate 5ft summer surf at Watergate Bay, of saying to his wife that surfing was better than sex. Admittedly he was surfed out at the time, eyes glazed and wits dulled by memories of pure stoke, but he's yet to be forgiven - and probably never will be. I have told him that he should have kept his thoughts to himself, but he was unrepentant. He suggested the following 10 reasons for being right:
1. No time lapse - you always want more straight after a ride.
2. No risk of disease.
3. It doesn't matter if it's raining.
4. Dolphins and seals are wonderful animals, but you never see them in the bedroom.
5. Similarly, rainbows at the back of breaking waves.
6. You don't need to buy a wave dinner first.
7. Waves do not get jealous.
8. Six foot thrusters are perfectly adequate.
9. Waves don't mind being photographed in all their glory. In fact, some seem to enjoy it.
10. The act of riding a wave is, quite simply, more intense and rewarding than even the best orgasm.
Is he right?